Recently I've been having several conversations with friends about movies that they should be checking out on Netflix.
After several times of repeating the same recommendations, I decided I could be much more proactive by sharing these on my blog that I have neglected the past several months.
But as I was making the list, I realized I would feel better putting these films together by their same genre. And the majority of films I preferred recommended were of the documentary genre. Some are serious, some are funny,
some are biographical, some are musical- all are very entertaining.
So please check them out, and then talk to me about what you thought of them.
I listed this one first because even if you're the type that doesn't enjoy documentaries, I still really want you to see this film. It's really inspiring and makes everyone feel like life is limitless. The coach who leads this football team is seriously a saint. And anyone who knows me realizes how little interest I have in sports, so that's not even required.
If you like to be uplifted and see good kids learn what it is to have character- check this one out right now.
This is a pretty interesting one. Really well-made film. The overall theme, which is described in the trailer, is a really fascinating topic- "I'm interested in the way we tell stories about our lives, about the fact that the truth about the past is often ephemeral and difficult to pin down"
I just really respect Chris Thile as a musician and songwriter. And if you've never heard Punch Brothers before, check this out simply to appreciate what it sounds like to have a band full of incredibly talented musicians play together.
After several times of repeating the same recommendations, I decided I could be much more proactive by sharing these on my blog that I have neglected the past several months.
But as I was making the list, I realized I would feel better putting these films together by their same genre. And the majority of films I preferred recommended were of the documentary genre. Some are serious, some are funny,
some are biographical, some are musical- all are very entertaining.
So please check them out, and then talk to me about what you thought of them.
Undefeated
I listed this one first because even if you're the type that doesn't enjoy documentaries, I still really want you to see this film. It's really inspiring and makes everyone feel like life is limitless. The coach who leads this football team is seriously a saint. And anyone who knows me realizes how little interest I have in sports, so that's not even required.
If you like to be uplifted and see good kids learn what it is to have character- check this one out right now.
Stories We Tell
This is a pretty interesting one. Really well-made film. The overall theme, which is described in the trailer, is a really fascinating topic- "I'm interested in the way we tell stories about our lives, about the fact that the truth about the past is often ephemeral and difficult to pin down"
How To Grow A Band
I just really respect Chris Thile as a musician and songwriter. And if you've never heard Punch Brothers before, check this out simply to appreciate what it sounds like to have a band full of incredibly talented musicians play together.
Mansome
More light-hearted and funny, but still very interesting. Defining masculinity in today's world is obviously going to be entertaining.
The Queen of Versailles
This one has a twist to it- you think you're going to hate the main character, but you end up feeling for her. This film is perfect for anyone wanting to feel better about not being rich.
Bully
Just a heads up- this movie is heavy. But man is it good. I appreciate a movie with the best intentions, and this is it.
That Guy... Who Was In That Thing
I actually loved this movie. If nothing else, it makes you feel like best buds with a bunch of actors you'd always recognized but never knew the name of. Pretty clever idea.
Unfortunately, I could not find a trailer for this one.
Just go watch it.
There's The Rub.
2 comments:
We have seen Bully and seriously the most sad and infuriating documentary!! We want to try and watch all of these, thanks for the list! JR&Tav
I love love Mansome! I'll see you these documentaries and raise you Mortified Nation, Happy, Craigslist Joe, (A)Sexual (so interesting!), and Babies... which sadly isn't on Netflix anymore, but if you can get your hands on it, it's awesome! The rest are on Netflix. Thanks for the suggestions!
Post a Comment