I appreciate reminders that connect me with my former self.
Today I sent Afton a text that began with that. One word, by itself, without any other words to distract.
With anyone else it'd mean nothing, but with Aft it means a little more for me.
Afton and I are a pretty simple couple and try to minimize the drama.
I think that it helps that we both have very similar views on the world and people.
But Tyson and Afton the dating couple? There was some drama guys.
An early example of this was only a month or so into our relationship. Afton and I handled relationships very differently. And by differently, I mean opposite. She was very low-key and slow paced, while I was a bit too passionate and liked to get serious fast. Neither one is necessarily bad, but the two together doesn't result in good results.
And I'll admit, looking back I realize that I was probably more at fault. It's good to want to be with someone
and get a little carried away, but after a while it's a little selfish and immature.
Anyway, eventually something had to give.
So Afton broke up with me. And it hurt.
Fortunately for Afton, she was going out of town for a week to do EFY. She got away and could distract herself.
Meanwhile I tried to be cool with things and move on.
But couldn't. I really liked the girl. A lot. She's an awesome catch.
It was only a few days later. But remember how the few days always are for everyone.
When you have to go that long with no communication with someone you're really into.
Even the most mature individual aches from withdrawal of that connection.
So a few days later, late one night, I gave in.
I text her.
"Hi."
She text back.
"Hi."
That night we talked things out.
And now, I'm married to that girl.
Every time I text her that word, it reminds me of that aching I had in my gut for those few days.
It reminds me how much I wanted to be with that girl from west Mesa.
It reminds me how lucky I am.
There's The Rub.

3 comments:
Awww. Love.
I like this very very much. And this is insightful: "But remember how the few days always are for everyone."
So great. Aftonator really is the best and I'm so glad she found a guy that knows that. :)
Post a Comment