1.25.2013

Cassettes

I tend to put off purchasing something until I absolutely must get it.

I got a new (new to me, that is) car a month or so ago.
And I don't know if most people are like me but aside from the car actually running, the most important thing to me 
in an automobile is its music playing abilities.
The last car I had only had a radio. It was rough. I am now a regular listener of talk radio because of that.
But this car. It's got a broken CD player. And a tape deck.
A tape deck. What to do with a tape deck.

As I already stated, I am not one to rush out and spend money- even on myself.
So I have spent my spare time in the last few days doing two things:

1. Making my own mix tapes.
2. Purchasing what cassette tapes I can find at thrift/used books stores.

My first real gem of this collection was also the first purchase I made:

Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story"
I now have 4 purchased cassettes and have made 3 mix tapes.

After listening to this music in my car the last few days, I'm surprised.
When I've brought this up to people- friends, acquaintances, and the guy who works at Half Price Books- 
they tell me how cool that is and how they've been wanting to build their own collection back up of older forms of music.

Records I can get behind. I'm not bashing on that.
But cassette tapes were not meant to be missed once they were replaced.

There was a time when I had friends who would ask me to make them mix tapes. They thought it was cool.
I still haven't figured that out.

I understand the value of nostalgia. And I live by the concept of "making due with what I've got".
But sometimes people surprise me with what they think is cool.

There's The Rub.

1 comment:

katilda said...

*quietly slides iphone with cassette tape cover under the desk where you can't see it* ...but for reals, I haven't listened to a cassette tape in years. I think people do feed off nostalgia though. I, for one, see no value in watching a VHS tape when I have other options. But then again, I still have to make other people work the DVD player for me, so....there's that problem.