10.24.2012

Love According to The Office

The best way to describe things is through a scene from television or a movie.

Lately I've found myself becoming more and more interested/invested in others' lives.
Friends. Family. Even distant acquaintances.
And it's usually with stuff that's none of my business at all.

Anyway, last night I was talking to Afton about a certain friend of ours.
And to avoid making an obvious reveal of who we were talking about, I will refrain from any details.
Cause I think the point is inevitably applicable to most people I know. 
Or in other words, I guess everything you've read up to this point has been unnecessary.

My point is this:
My friend we were discussing needs to take a chance.
How many of us need to just take a chance sometimes?
Put ourselves out there and admit we want something or someone?
Anyone who knows me knows I've never had this problem.
And the main reason is "The Office".



Season 3, Episode 5: Initiation
It's the end of the day, after 5 even. Everyone has gone home except Pam who is still there because she's essentially been babysitting Michael again. When all of a sudden, Jim- who left town months earlier because Pam rejected him even after an epic kiss- calls the office. It's the first time they've spoken since Jim's departure.
It's awkward at first, both clearly not knowing how to proceed with this unexpected conversation.
Next thing you see is the two of them carrying on an apparently long conversation about casual things, 
laughing and joking with one another.

But the real drama happens when Dwight and Ryan arrive. 
They'd been out on a sales call and were only now getting back to get their things. 
Pam then says "Ok bye!" as they leave. Jim hears this and thinks she's saying it to him.
She starts to correct him. They both at this moment must know that it'd be cool to continue talking.
But what happens?
Both are too scared to put themselves out there and try to continue the conversation.
Instead of awkward "Oh yeah, that's fine I should probably get going anyway...", they should be stepping up 
and saying to the other person "I don't need to go right now, and I've really loved talking. 5 more minutes?"

That was probably horribly explained but what I'm trying to drive home is that at points in each person's life they need 
to make bold actions to get what they want. They need to be passionate and fearless and undeterred by 
the chance, however likely, of embarrassment and rejection.

As I said earlier, I've lived by that for a long time now.
And while it did give me plenty of heartbreak and humiliation, I wouldn't have done it any other way.
I'm glad I gave my emotions credit enough to act on them.
Shouldn't we all deserve a chance to get carried away?


There's The Rub.

1 comment:

katilda said...

Love this: "Shouldn't we all deserve a chance to get carried away?"