A Thought.
If anyone reading this isn't interested in my sharing my religiously motivated thoughts, this isn't the post for you.
But it's nothing too heavy, trust me.
It's a thought I've pondered over for some time now and then recently struck me as I was reading in the gospel of John.
You've got apostles, including Peter and John, and disciples together in a boat on the Sea of Tiberias.
They had gone fishing the night before and unfortunately caught nothing.
As the morning began, a man on the shore- they're unaware that it's Jesus at this point- asks if they have any meat.
They reply no. He tells them to "cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find".
They did so, and caught so much that "they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes".
At this, John realizes who has called out to them from the shore and says "It is the Lord".
Then something happens that has always impressed me. The thing I've pondered recently.
"Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him and did cast himself into the sea"
It's this moment when I realize the kind of relationship those apostles, especially a man like Peter, has with Christ.
They have spent the last few years working hard, traveling, learning so much, and
facing the harshest opposition (which resulted in them having to spend a few days believing He was dead).
Peter has so much love for Him that the moment he realizes that Jesus is nearby, he instantly rushes to be with Him.
I thought more on this as I read the gospel of John, another disciple who shared a close relationship with Christ.
How hard it must have been as he wrote the account of Jesus' arrest, persecution, and death.
Though he knew the outcome was far greater than anyone anticipated, revisiting those scenes is anything but easy.
I think of these things and then I look at myself.
I consider my relationship with God.
I resolve to be like Peter and hurry to any opportunity that will help me feel Him close.
And I promise to never forget what He has done for me, even when it's difficult.
Just a thought.
But it's nothing too heavy, trust me.
It's a thought I've pondered over for some time now and then recently struck me as I was reading in the gospel of John.
You've got apostles, including Peter and John, and disciples together in a boat on the Sea of Tiberias.
They had gone fishing the night before and unfortunately caught nothing.
As the morning began, a man on the shore- they're unaware that it's Jesus at this point- asks if they have any meat.
They reply no. He tells them to "cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find".
They did so, and caught so much that "they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes".
At this, John realizes who has called out to them from the shore and says "It is the Lord".
Then something happens that has always impressed me. The thing I've pondered recently.
"Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him and did cast himself into the sea"
It's this moment when I realize the kind of relationship those apostles, especially a man like Peter, has with Christ.
They have spent the last few years working hard, traveling, learning so much, and
facing the harshest opposition (which resulted in them having to spend a few days believing He was dead).
Peter has so much love for Him that the moment he realizes that Jesus is nearby, he instantly rushes to be with Him.
I thought more on this as I read the gospel of John, another disciple who shared a close relationship with Christ.
How hard it must have been as he wrote the account of Jesus' arrest, persecution, and death.
Though he knew the outcome was far greater than anyone anticipated, revisiting those scenes is anything but easy.
I think of these things and then I look at myself.
I consider my relationship with God.
I resolve to be like Peter and hurry to any opportunity that will help me feel Him close.
And I promise to never forget what He has done for me, even when it's difficult.
Just a thought.
There's The Rub.

No comments:
Post a Comment