5.23.2012

I'm Fine With Me

I've become well-acquainted with the concept that life has times and seasons for everything, 
and that by going with the rhythm of such seasons helps maintain perspective.

I've always thought I was a good looking child, with a lot more personality than most.


Back then I had dreams and ambitions. 
Some outlandish, which you'd expect at a naive young age. But honestly, the things I wanted most 
were things I continued to passionately desire throughout my life.

In high school most of them were greatly amplified from seeing different lifestyles and the choices, 
both good and bad, that my friends were making.


Those same dreams I had as a child would eventually be what lead me in my choices as an adult.
Creating a mental list of priorities that harnessed who I associated with, my pursuits in education, 
and especially how I conducted myself from day to day.


The road has been a long one. 
And often times I lacked the patience all of us need when reaching for a higher, more beautiful existence. I don't know if its the same with everyone, but there were many times that I made the road longer just because I grew restless and veered off course towards something less satisfactory and far below my potential.


I consider myself fortunate to have the people- family and friends- 
who have always encouraged me to never settle and walked alongside me on that road to happiness.

Each day I would simply apply one principle to my life:
Be better today than you were yesterday


The real strength that came from that course of action was in the ability one has to interpret it however they see fit each day. 
Better in what area of my life? Could I have been kinder to someone? 
Could I have worked harder? Did I make mistakes? If so, can I rectify them?

And though I am far from anything resembling perfect, I take comfort in one simple realization:
Those dreams I had as a child are being obtained one by one.


All my life I've just wanted to be a good man.
And I guess everyone has a different idea of what that means, so for me 
it revolves around things that require a great deal of faith, respect, hard work, and love.

Being a loving husband and father.
Being a loyal worker in whatever professions I acquire.
Being a loyal and kind friend to all I meet in life.
Being a strong member of the communities I reside in.
And being a faithful and trusting son to my Father.

I'm only in the process of becoming what I set out to be as a young boy.
But with what road I do have behind me, 
I think I can feel good about the ground I've gained thus far.

I guess I'm just fine with me.

There's The Rub.

2 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I think it takes a lot to of effort to be comfortable with a person's own self. I understand a lot about my purpose in life, but struggle being "comfortable" with me.

Do you need help making a header for your blog? I could make one for you pretty easily.

katilda said...

i love this. i also want to alternately title it "the evolution of the beard." which makes me think of a link that i am going to post on your facebook wall asap. also...i like this part: "there were many times that I made the road longer just because I grew restless and veered off course towards something less satisfactory and far below my potential." ...i agree, but don't regret veering. it made me know what i really want when i got back to the right course.