4.04.2013

My Life As An Elitist

I have often been compared to Rob Gordon.
This is Rob Gordon, as portrayed by John Cusack in the film "High Fidelity".

The similarities between me and this fictional character cover many different aspects of my personality, 
but I'd like to focus on one of the main ones.



I've spent the last several years having this sort of unappreciated know-it-all attitude whose view and taste 
would never truly be matched by any others I encountered. The only other opinions I'd even hear were those 
who would either admit their inferiority or those whose opinions matched mine completely.
I would use colorful language to sound educated and well-informed.
Belittling pity is the closest I ever came to appreciating another's opinion.

The unfortunate thing is that I thought that it was a great quality to have.
I think it really began my senior year in high school. A theater friend of mine told me that she felt good about a performance she had done because I had complimented her. She explained that I so rarely do such a thing, so she knew that I meant it when I did.
I think I took that comment, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and ran with it.
Over time I had become a grump who felt validated by dismissing the opinions of others as juvenile.

It was a couple of years ago I noticed this behavior in myself and decided to start making an effort to be more open. 
Open to things I had previously ignored only because others liked it. 
Open to the opinions of others who did not correspond with my own. 
And maybe most importantly- open to criticism of my own opinion.

It's been a process and I can still be very snooty about my tastes, especially in music.
But I have seen growth.
For example, a little while back I did 3 separate blogs to list my favorite albums, movies, and songs.
And I found that each time I shared a new list, I was more and more willing to share my favorites that 
didn't necessarily showcase my knowledge and superior taste in each category. If you look through my 
favorite songs- the last of the 3 blogs- you'll find a number of songs that may surprise you.

The problem with being an elitist is that is drives others away.
And it provides no opportunity for growth. How can I hope to develop and improve if I hear others through 
such a harsh, unfair filter where I'm only listening for validation?
Being critical is not a virtue. Anyone can be a critic.
It takes real character to see the worth in someone else's view, especially when it differs from one's own view.



There's The Rub.

1 comment: