12.28.2012

Top Albums of 2012

At the end of every year, I like to voice my opinion.

Every person is entitled to their own opinion.
But I feel like when I make a blog post about it, it gives my opinion the appearance of more weight.


10. Hospitality "Hospitality"

Simply put, I just appreciate catchy tunes.

9. Of Monsters and Men "My Head Is An Animal"

I love the sound of this band. It's bold without being overpowering.


8. Perfume Genius "Put Your Back N 2 It"

Gorgeous. Melodic and artistic.


7. The Lumineers "The Lumineers"

Great songwriting, great vocals, happy music.


6. John Mayer "Born and Raised"

John Mayer is a guilty pleasure. But John Mayer doing folk-driven country-rock? No guilt needed.


5. Various Artists "The Hunger Games Soundtrack"

Arcade Fire, The Civil Wars, Punch Brothers, and several other artists who I love anyway.


4. Punch Brothers "Who's Feeling Young Now?"

Chris Thile is brilliant. Thoughtful, artistic, and memorable.


3. The Tallest Man On Earth "There's No Leaving Now"

There's so much heart in these songs. Every time I listen to it, I love it more.


2. Fiona Apple "The Idler Wheel is Wiser..."

This woman is so creative. And her voice is so perfectly polished while being frail and broken.


1. Dr Dog "Be The Void"

Just an awesome rock album. These guys blend their sounds so well.


And since a great song deserves its own credit, here are my top 10 favorite songs of the year.

10. Punch Brothers "Kid A

9. Japandroids "The Night of Wine and Roses"

8. Dr Dog "The Old Black Hole

7. The Tallest Man On Earth "1904"

6. The Killers "Runaways"

5. Fiona Apple "Every Single Night"

4. Punch Brothers "Soon or Never"

3. fun. "Some Nights Intro"

2. The Lumineers "Ho Hey"

1. Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes "Man On Fire"

There's The Rub.