12.09.2012

True Worth

Till He Appeared And The Soul Felt Its Worth.

That's my favorite line from any Christmas hymn, and possibly any hymn in general.
I've thought a lot lately about it, most specifically the idea of one's worth.

We had a discussion in a Sociology class I took about the concept of worth, and that its completely subjective.
At the end of the day, diamonds serve me very little purpose and therefore have very little worth.
And even a hundred dollar bill is only worth anything at all if others acknowledge it as such. Otherwise all I have is a piece of paper.

So when I think about that line: "He appeared and the soul felt its worth", I think about the worth I feel right now.
I have family and friends who love me and appreciate me. I have things I do from day to day that hopefully build 
my self-esteem and make me feel needed in this world.
There's much I can use to help me feel important and loved and special. That's true for all of us.

But I think what those words are really about is our true worth.
On my best day, I have so many people making me feel so loved. I feel good about the life I've led and 
the future I have before me. On my best day, I feel like a relevant individual in my world. 
But even then, I don't think I could ever grasp my true worth.
That on top of all that, I am loved with an infinite love by One who has the capacity to to do all things.
I am known by name and watched over personally each moment of each day.
Afton once described it to me as knowing you are the most important thing to our Heavenly Father. Knowing it completely.
And at the same time knowing that He feels that same love and care for everyone one of us.

On my best day, I still feel insecure and scared of the world and of the future.
I still regret much and still hate certain things about myself.
Even on my best day, I am my harshest critic and wish I was better.

But luckily, as the line says, "He appears and (my) soul felt its worth".
I love Sundays. I love Christmas. I love the chance they give me to remember that no matter how unworthy 
I feel of His love, He is there supporting me and believing in me every step of the way.

I just keep thinking about that lately.
Cause each of us is our own harshest critic.
If I could just see what God sees in me. How different I'd feel. And act.
And how easily we can catch a glimpse of that vision. If we just ask.


There's The Rub.

No comments: