I probably daydream too much.
I don't know if most people are the same way, but recently I've observed how much time I spend thinking, pondering, and especially dreaming. As opposed to actively doing things in my life. Which is ok I guess.
But after conversations and interactions with various individuals the last couple of weeks, I've begun to re-examine that
observation more closely. I see so many friends and family that are incredibly good people- good hearts and
loving personalities. But so many of them are bogged down with problems stemmed from the same thread:
Not doing what they know is right.
And it's this thread that has made me wonder if my daydreaming- my aspirations, both big and small, that I play
out each day in my mind- if it could be more harmful than anything.
I, like the many people I speak of in my life, know what is right. I have spent years figuring it out through experience,
learning, study, and inevitably through mistakes. My morals are built upon these many small pieces I've accumulated over time.
But do I always use that understanding in my decision-making? No.
And that's ok because no one is perfect. That's not my point.
My point is that I must admit that in my mind, I am doing fine. In my daydreams, I intend to help others and
make loving gestures to Afton and be a good-natured friend and family member.
I just recently had this epiphany that my knowing what is right and knowing the manner in which I should be conducting
myself is not enough. Because when those moments come when one must stand on their conviction and faith
(and those moments come far more often than anyone ever expects), you're already behind. Because by then you really
need to not just know and do, but by then you must be what you know is right.
This is a whole lot of rambling, I know.
I've just seen dear friends hurt themselves and settle for such unhappiness simply
because they never did what they already knew was right.
I'm hoping to put my self into gear and be better.
But after conversations and interactions with various individuals the last couple of weeks, I've begun to re-examine that
observation more closely. I see so many friends and family that are incredibly good people- good hearts and
loving personalities. But so many of them are bogged down with problems stemmed from the same thread:
Not doing what they know is right.
And it's this thread that has made me wonder if my daydreaming- my aspirations, both big and small, that I play
out each day in my mind- if it could be more harmful than anything.
I, like the many people I speak of in my life, know what is right. I have spent years figuring it out through experience,
learning, study, and inevitably through mistakes. My morals are built upon these many small pieces I've accumulated over time.
But do I always use that understanding in my decision-making? No.
And that's ok because no one is perfect. That's not my point.
My point is that I must admit that in my mind, I am doing fine. In my daydreams, I intend to help others and
make loving gestures to Afton and be a good-natured friend and family member.
I just recently had this epiphany that my knowing what is right and knowing the manner in which I should be conducting
myself is not enough. Because when those moments come when one must stand on their conviction and faith
(and those moments come far more often than anyone ever expects), you're already behind. Because by then you really
need to not just know and do, but by then you must be what you know is right.
This is a whole lot of rambling, I know.
I've just seen dear friends hurt themselves and settle for such unhappiness simply
because they never did what they already knew was right.
I'm hoping to put my self into gear and be better.
There's The Rub.
1 comment:
A couple years ago I was watching a video of Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips singer) giving an address at a high school graduation. He made a simple statement that really caught me off guard: "You're not what you dream." I more or less knew that already but it was the first time that I realized that sometimes there is a harsh disconnect between what you dream/who you want to be and who you really are.
Thanks for sharing this, I need to work harder on the things I know I should be doing.
Post a Comment